Friday, July 27, 2012

Donuts and Poodles

(at breakfast... I am typing frantically and my daughter is drinking her morning cup of tea)

Me:  (distracted) So, what's going on, baby girl?

Anne:  Oh, nothing. I was just thinking.

Me:  About what?

Anne:  I want a doughnut.  And I was thinking that I wish doughnuts grew on vines like grapes and you could plant a vine outside my window and when I get up in the morning I could just lean out and pick a doughnut for breakfast.

(typing ceases)

Me:  That would be awesome. I want a doughnut vine too.

Anne:  We could share.

Me:  You know what I want?  I wish you could plant poodle seeds in the garden.  And at first all that would come up would be a plant, but then when the flower opens a little poodle face pops out.  And instead of watering it, you have to pet it and the more you pet it the faster it grows.  And then one day the poodles all pop out of their flowers.  And you have poodles running all over your garden.

Anne:  Then you'd have to gather them up in a wagon and take them to the farmers market to sell.

Me: Poodles! Fresh Poodles Here!

Anne: We could sell them by the bunch in baskets.

Me:  We could sell doughnuts, too.

Anne:  We'd be the Doughnut and Poodle Ladies at the market! 

Me:  What are you doing today, my dear?

Anne:  I'm going to wear this antennae I made out of pipe cleaners and play with the cat.  I might organize my UglyDolls. 

Me:  That sounds fantastic.

Anne:  What are you doing today, mothermydear?

Me:  I am stuck sitting here typing a stupid nerd technology paper for library school.

Anne:  That sucks.

Me: Yeah.

Anne:  (sigh)

Me:  (sigh)

Anne:  Do you want to wear my antennae?   And when you're done we could go buy another cat and name him Henry Higgins or Sallah or Squish!  That would be awesome! 

If you haven't gotten in touch with your inner 9 year old recently, I suggest you do.  Even if it's only for 10 minutes.  Because being an adult really sucks. But being 9 is an endless world of doughnuts and poodles. And kittens.

~dana