Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Children Are Spooky

Conversation at a picnic bench.  The family snacks on Auntie Anne's Pretzels and root beer after seeing the Avengers.

Henry:  I want to learn archery.  Like Hawkeye.  Awesome.

Anne:  Me, too.

Me:  Why am I not surprised?  I suppose, Anne, you want a black bodysuit like the Black Widow, too?

Anne:  No, that's just stupid. But I still want marksmanship lessons. With guns.

Henry:  Me, too. With guns.

Me:  Really.  Archery and marksmanship.  Henry, do you know how to play baseball?

Henry:  Sure. There's... what? Like bases and a bat. I bet it's easy.

Anne:  Why would I play baseball?  What is the point?

Me:  OK, forget that.  What about football?  Could either of you play football if it was required of you?

Henry:  Sure... I think.

Anne:  Henry, didn't you play baby flag football?

Henry:  Did I?

Anne:  I think so.

Me:  What the hell are you two preparing for?  You've already got me paying for fencing lessons!  Sword fighting?  And now you want archery and sniper lessons?  What are you not telling me???

Henry and Anne: (stony silence)

Winston:  I think they are preparing for the end of all technology.

Me:  Is this true???

Henry and Anne: (stare at me silently, with eyes narrowed.)

Me:  Eat your pretzels and stop being creepy!!

~dana