Wednesday, May 16, 2012

We're Boat People Now

(after driving 1 hour down rt. 2 to a boatyard in Fairport Harbor, Ohio)

Me: That's it! See? Right there?  That's what I want for Mother's Day! Yay!

Winston: What are you talking about?   A weed encrusted dock? I think this place is abandoned.

Me: No, it's not. Look there's a bathroom.



Anne:  You can't make me go in there.

Me:  It's like it was waiting for me.  Go buy it.  Don't be difficult.

Winston: BUY WHAT?

Me:  My boat.

Winston:  What boat?  All these boats are sitting in the grass!  It looks like a junkyard. I think it is a junkyard.

Me: That boat.  It's the boat of my dreams.  I have always wanted that boat.



Me: It's perfect. I love it.  I will be so cute on it.  Happy Mother's Day to me!

Anne: I love it!  Let's name it "The Victoria."

Me: Ohh! Yes! Or:  "The Polish Princess!"

Anne: Yes! 

Henry:  Why are we not at Scooter Dawgs?  I thought you wanted 2 Scooter Dawgs for Mother's   Day.  When are we going to eat? Why are we staring at trash?  Again.

Winston:  A derelict 60's houseboat is your dream?  That thing isn't even seaworthy.

Me: It doesn't have to be seaworthy, Winston.  We live on a lake. Lake's are freshwater. Duh.

Winston:  There are giant holes all over the keel!  It'll sink right to the bottom!  I bet that thing hasn't seen water since 1967.

Me: So it needs some work.  I bet you can get it cheap and fix it up.

Winston: We are not buying a old, broken boat.  You don't even like being on the water.

Me:  We are buying the boat or I am pulling the "look at the stretch marks from your progeny" card!   And? I don't really want to sail it. I just want to sit on it and play.  We can just dock it somewhere.  Problem solved.

Winston:  With those holes, the only place you could dock it is in the backyard.  The neighbors will love that.  A big rusty wreck perched on a shitty dry dock in our garden.  Classy.

Me: No! That's genius!  We'll just park it in the backyard! I love you! You're so smart!

Winston: Hmmm... we could.  Then we could say to everybody, "We're boat people now!"

Me: Ohhh... we could say, "We spend every weekend on our boat."  That would shut up all those snobs who can't believe we won't join the Clifton Beach Club. Yeah, like I want to join a beach club on fucking Lake Erie. 

Winston:  We could say, "No, we have it docked right by the house.  It's walking distance, actually."  You know what else?  We could get a kiddie pool and put it next to it.  So when we get too hot on the boat, we can cool off. This is starting to sound like a great idea.  I could put a grill on the back!

Me:  I generate good ideas. It's my special purpose.   Oooh! Oooh!  We could put Christmas lights on it!  And instead of keeping it on a shitty rusted dry dock, we could dig out the ground, like 8 feet deep and nestle my new boat into the ground, so it looks better!  I'll call you "Commodore."  Like, "I'm not sure what time the barbeque is.  I have to check with the Commodore."

Winston:  It would be cool.  All fixed up.  Well, let's go.  This place gives me the creeps.  It's like a Scooby-Doo ghost town.

Henry: Are we going to Scooter Dawgs any time soon?  Like, today? 

Anne: Can I have a sleepover on our boat? I love our boat.

Me: Write down the number so you can call and buy it.  Just have them deliver it.  But lowball them.  I think $500 is fair.

Winston: Yeah. I'll get right on that.  And there is no phone number!  There's no one here! It's a field next to a creek!

Me: I really hate you.  I feel like all you do is sit around and not buy me a boat. It was going to be so wonderful.

~dana